Wednesday 12 February 2014

My very first impression of the United Kingdom

                                             My very first impression of the United Kingdom

            I have been here for more than a week now, and I am beginning to get used to the British habits. Since I took my first steps in London, I felt I was made to live there. Actually, I am not French and it is not the first time I have had to adapt myself to a new way of life and a new culture. I really like the English ones, and I feel great in this country. The most different thing is the way people drive. I already heard about this but it is still surprising to see it in reality. Most of the people here are very friendly and nice. I have noticed it in the bars, pubs and even in the street! I still have difficulties adjusting myself to the meal times in the United Kingdom as they tend to be earlier than in France. Specifically about Stafford, the fact that all the shops are open every day is useful, but they close too early; indeed, for instance if I finish my courses late in the afternoon, I will not be able to purchase anything but the general goods in the supermarkets. During the week, Stafford is quite boring, especially if we don't have friends here. There are a few good places to go, but also beautiful landscapes to visit, if the weather allows it. Stafford is a beautiful place to live. But as a student, I would probably prefer living in a big city like London. I really like the United Kingdom and enjoy being here.

                                                                                       

1 comment:

  1. I really sympathise with you Amine. Stafford is a beautiful little town but there is more life in London. I was thinking about words in French which also exist in English but the meanings are different. We call these "false friends", for example: "sympathique" (in Italian: simpatico) is translated as "nice", " friendly" or "pleasant" in English, whereas "sympathetic" means showing sympathy or feeling sorry. There are other words too. Perhaps I will try to make a list with your help...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.