Wednesday 20 November 2013

A wonderful rural trip

Have you seen wide open pastureland? Have you touched a baby calf which is only four months old? Have you taken a ride on a tractor in a narrow road and have you felt how that  pleasant feeling that nature and farming brings? All of these answers can be found at Beech Cliffe farm.
I was very glad that I had a chance to visit Beech Cliffe Farm, which has approximately 450 acres and is located near to the M6 motorway, Monkey Forest and Trentham Gardens. In addition, this farm has about 300 animals include 50 turkeys, 180 cows and 100 sheep.


I remembered clearly that we stood on the roadside and were waiting for the host there to pick us up. it really make amazed me when Gareth arrived driving his tractor which looked like a red monster,and the wheels were higher than me. Actually, I have never seen such a big tractor before. Behind the tractor there was a trailer that he used for loading livestock to Leek market. However, it was prepared for us at present. awesome! We got on the trailer, then drove towards the farm. On the way, everybody was excited and talked about what they saw and listened.


After about 7 minutes, we arrived at  the farm, and Natalie (Gareth's wife) was waiting for us at the gate. Afterwards, we went into a room and picked the suitable wellington boots, as it was very muddy outside. Following this, we started our brilliant farming trip.


First of all, Natalie took us to see turkeys in a field. we did not see anything when got there, but she just crowed a few times, and a large groups of turkey appeared suddenly and none of us knew where they came from. They stared at us surprising as well as they hoped we would give them some food. Unfortunately, we did not. Lorenzo asked  Natalie, whose nationality is French, " do you get attached to them". she said" I try not to". the reason may be is that she would not be too sad, if she sold them. When we left the field, I told her your turkeys were very disappointed because they did not get anything to eat and ran to you in vain.

A cowshed is in close proximity to the turkey enclosure. There were some baby calves, the exact numbers of which I did not count, but they are super cute. The first time that I touched one I was very nervous as I was afraid he would bite me. In fact, he not only was friendly and docile, but also allowed me to touch his head. I was very happy and Woon helped me take a photo with him.




Next station, we went to find the sheep in a very vast pastureland. It was comfortable to walk on the soft grass with cool breeze and sunset. I was curious that Natalie had said she brought us to see the sheep, but, so far, I did not even see a shadow of a sheep. until we climbed to the top of this gentle slope, I understood the reason. A vivid image of the scene rose before our eyes, there were two groups of sheep which were eating grass leisurely. Maybe our appearance bothered them and they stopped eating, just looked at us. We tried to approach, whereas they started to run away. Thus, we did not have a chance to touch them. Cate said" running under the sunset that is my lost youth." what a beautiful scenery!



2 comments:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.